What's Cookin??

Appetizers (1) Bread (7) Breakfast (8) Dessert (22) Drinks (1) Main Dish (40) Side Dish (14) Vegetables (7)

Monday, May 9, 2011

Cinco de Mayo

For Cinco de Mayo I wanted to do something fun for dinner for us so I got some yummy recipes to try out.  These ones were supper yummy and they turned out great! Our best bites is where I found them all from.  Best cookbook ever! You all seriously need to get it! PS I don't know how to put these under a label. . . How do I do this? ha 


Chicken or Steak Fajitas 
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, chicken thighs, or steak
2-3 bell peppers, stem and membranes removed and peppers quartered
1 large onion (any color/variety) sliced into 1/2″ slices
Marinade:
1/4 C fresh lime juice
1/3 C water
2 T vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, pressed or finely minced
3 t vinegar
2 t soy sauce
1-2 t liquid smoke (You can find this by the bbq sauce at the store)
1 t salt
1/2 t chili powder, or chipotle chili powder
1/2 t cayenne pepper
1/4 t ground black pepper
1/4 t onion powder




Place meat in a zip-top bag or shallow dish.  Place vegetables in another.  In a medium bowl, combine all marinade ingredients and whisk well.  Reserve 3-4 Tablespoons of marinade for later use.  With remaining marinade, add a splash to the vegetables (enough for a light coating) and the remaining to the meat.  Marinate for 4-6 hours and up to overnight.
Preheat bbq grill (my preference it honestly tastes so much better this way! Treag wasnt too happy he had to go out in the 100 degree weather to grill though), indoor grill pan, or large skillet.  If you’re using a grill, place everything on at the same time.  If using a skillet, slice peppers and onions first.  Cook chicken for a few minutes on each side until cooked through and remove from pan.  Cover with foil to keep warm.  Add vegetables and cook until crisp tender.
I got the uncooked four shells at the store! They come in a bag and you heat them up on a pan your self.  They are soo yummy, much better than buying them pre-made in my opinion.

Lime- Cilantro Rice 
I LOVE cilantro LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! And here in Texas it is everywhere so I'm in heaven. This rice is soo yummy! But you need to serve it right when its done. . . Its not as yummy warmed up. 



1 cup dry white rice, cooked in 2 C water.
2 T real butter
Juice from 1 
large lime. I used about 2 and 1/2 limes. I loved the taste and couldnt get enough of it!
1 small can crushed pineapple, drained.
 (You may want 2 small cans)
½ – ¾ C chopped fresh cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste


Cook rice. As soon as it’s done, toss in the butter and stir to melt. Add lime juice, pineapple, and cilantro. Stir to combine, and then add salt and pepper to taste. 


Mexican Corn on the cob
I don't this I would ever make this if it wasn't Cinco de Mayo because it is so fattening but if you are doing a Mexican meal its pretty good and really fun to have.  I also doubled the chili and cayenne pepper.  I like my food pretty spicy and I didn't feel like it had enough of a kick! And I used light mayo and sour cream and it stilly tasted pretty yummy :) 
4 ears corn
3 T mayo
2 T sour cream
1/4-1/2 t lime zest
1/2 t fresh lime juice
1/4 t cayenne pepper (optional)
1/4 t chili powder
tiny pinch kosher salt
1 C crumbled Cotija Cheese* (use fresh parmesan or queso fresco if you can’t find Cotija)

Mango Pico de Gallo
This is so stinking yummy! But it goes bad within a day so eat it all! Treag wouldn't let me add the onion in this. . . You HAVE too! It needs them for just a little extra kick. We added them in after the pictures were taken. ha 
1 c. small cubes of mango (about 1 medium to large mango)
1/2-1 large jalapeno pepper (1/2 without seeds is a nice, mild-medium heat; go from there)
1/4 c. chopped cilantro
1/4 of a medium red onion, finely chopped
Juice of 1 
lime
2 cloves 
garlic, minced
Kosher or sea salt to taste

1 comment:

  1. Allie! You are such a cute little wifey! This all looks SO yummy! I also love cilantro and have a few bunches sitting in my fridge! I will have to make this! PS... I had a dream about your kitten last night! Ah.. more like a night mare!! :)

    ReplyDelete